CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Don't Worry About A Thing...

I've kind of become obsessed with Eli's talking. Or the lack thereof. I fear I may be annoying people with my constant musing as to whether or not Eli's normal verbally, so I'm going to blog about it and then shut my trap. The kid doesn't say much. And the few words he does say: dad, what's this, kittie, dog, Jesus he's been saying for quite some time. No new words here people. I'm kind of desperate to hear what he has to say. I looked up developmental milestones for Eli's age online:

Most toddlers should be able to . . .
Feed self with spoon and fork --check!
Run well --check!
Brush teeth with help --(i should try this)
String more words together to make phrases or puts together pairs of words --nope!

Some toddlers will probably be able to . . .
Know when something is wrong --check!
Say 20 to 50 words--hahahahahaha!
Form recognizable sentences (two or three words)--hilarious!
Take off clothes --check!

Some toddlers could possibly be able to . . .
May show signs of bladder control --nope (not caring too much about that though)
Brush teeth and washes hands without help --(maybe if he could reach the sink)
Draw better circles and straighter lines --uh-uh
Name several part of his or her body --he can point to his nose, mouth, and bum but he's not saying a word.

He's certainly ahead of the game in coordination, he kicks, throws, and swings like a champ. He's great at climbing stairs and is getting better at going down them, in fact he's really great at climbing anything. But the verbal stuff irks me. I'm scared to make his 18 month check up-which is overdue-for fear that the doctor will tell me something is wrong with him. And if something is wrong with him it's probably my fault. Being a mom is worrisome. Anyone contemplating signing up for it should be aware.

In reassuring news Eli is still leaps and bounds ahead of other children in general adorableness.

See that spoon? That's Eli's security spoon, he carries it around and cries when it's taken away. However I don't let him sleep with it because that seems patently unsafe.
Finally submitting to a nap on Saturday afternoon, he sleeps like a man.
A-Dorable right?

On Sunday we went to Highland Park Reservoir with Aunt Suz. This is where part of the city's drinking water is housed. So I'm hoping people take that sign seriously.
We took Eli to the playground, which he found a little overwhelming at first.
The park is all wood and I found it very cool.
In the mouth of the gator! And seemingly unafraid.

Walking the plank.
The bridge was a bit treacherous and he needed some mommy assistance the first go round.
But once he got the hang of it he was quick to leave me.
Afterwards he showed us all what a neat eater he is.
Using his fork. Using it well I'd say.
He's getting very tall, if I'd make his doctor's appointment I'd be able to say just how tall. Also look at his cute new diaper cover. Eli is an excellent model.
With his favorite non-toy toy. He likes to turn the volume up to about 90 when I'm in the kitchen then come running at me with the remote so I'll turn it down.
His another new diaper. I'm in love with this fabric and would like to redo his bedroom in it if I could sew.
Why so worried?
How much do I love his face? More than I love chocolate cake, Grey's Anatomy, clean cotton sheets, grass under my feet, sushi, the smell of books, Target, cloth diapers, Counting Crows, puppies, Dirty Dancing and Mr. Witcher put together.



1 comments:

Shari said...

He sounds liek he is doing A-Okay to me!

And he is a handsome little guy!