CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

17 Months

Hey Eli did you know you'll be 17 months old tomorrow? That means you're a month away from being a year and half. Never has time gone faster. Just yesterday you were in my belly slipping an embryonic foot betwixt my ribs and pulling until something popped. Now you look like this:
Where'd this toddler come from? People have been asking me about potty training a lot and my first reaction is "Are you crazy? He's a BABY! You can't potty train a baby." Then I realize that you are getting to that age and I'm terrified (what if I screw it up and spend the next 18 years washing your sheets every morning) and sad that you're such a big boy. Also, last night at the restaurant you decided to feed yourself with the spoon. And you did a pretty OK job; sure you turned the spoon upside sown at the last minute almost every time but you get the basic idea. You'll be fully self sufficient in the blink of an eye.
You're getting cuddly again. It's extra sweet now because when you crawl up next to me on the couch I know you really want to be there. Certainly if you didn't want me to hug you there would be shrieks of terror and horrified wiggling to the floor. When you get scared or hurt you come running at me full force and I love that you think mommy can fix anything.
You're really into reading now, which I'm thrilled about, hopefully it will lead to you talking a bit more. When you want me to read you a book you throw it right at my head since subtlety isn't yet your strong suite. In case you're wondering your favorite book seems to be the Teddy Bear Counting Book (One teddy bear all alone, two teddy bears on the phone, three teddy bears all in blue...) I have it memorized and don't even look at the pages anymore. Also for whatever reason the hexagon is your favorite shape, maybe it's because of the bees on the page but you go ballistic and squeal and hit the book with your hand. It could not be more endearing, Sir.
Some woman heard me call you sir last night in the restaurant bathroom while I was desaucing you and remarked from her stall "Did you just call him Sir? Well, I've never heard that one before." She said it in a very pithy tone. Clearly she has no imagination and her kids are called princess and buddy. Eli you are very lucky that woman is not your mama.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Happy 17 months! You guys are growing up so fast!

Shell said...

Holy crap! He's getting so big! I can't believe how old they're getting already... ::sigh::